K-T SAF 2021 Summer Meeting… But in the Fall
Who: Hosted by the East TN Chapter of K-T SAF
- Open to all K-T SAF members and guests.
When: Thursday, September 2, 2021
- This will be a one-day event roughly from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
- For those staying the night Thursday, we’ll have a few choices for social gatherings with members as well as suggestions for things to do on Friday and/or the Labor day weekend should you wish to stay in the area.
Where: U.T. Cumberland Forest, Morgan County, TN (515 Cassell Rd, Oliver Springs, TN 37840)
- Specific meeting locations and directions supplied at a later date / Newsletter.
- Travel is on your own. There will be plenty of parking for personal or company vehicles.
- Tour stops are within walking distance. Truck and side-by-side available to those wishing assistance.
Lodging: On your own.
Make it a day trip from home or feel free to choose a favorite local hotel Chain.
- We suggest that you stay in either Oak Ridge (closest) or in west Knoxville (a bit further).
- There will be no organized meetings at any hotel.
- Oak Ridge Hotel suggestions:
- Hampton Inn
- Double Tree by Hilton
- Holiday Inn Express
- Staybridge Suites
- Townplace Suites by Mariott
- Comfort Inn
9:00 am ET Registration
9:15 am Welcome and Forest History Speakers: Kevin Hoyt and Martin Schubert
9:30 am Several tour presentations and discussion within the UT Cumberland Forest.
Mixed species, hardwood planting research at different spacings to formulate recommendations for development of high-grade, cherrybark oak boles --- 13-year results. Speaker: Martin Schubert, University of Tennessee
Impacts of seasonal and repeated prescribed burns on survival, sprouting, and growth of red maple seedlings. Speaker: Ed Yost, University of Tennessee
12:00 Noon Box Lunches from Honey-Baked Ham; Variety of drinks supplied by The Forestland Group
1:00 pm Travel to (7 miles) and Field Stop at nearby UT Stephen’s Switch Property
Restoration of shortleaf pine-hardwood (pine-oak) mixtures through introduction of shortleaf pine cluster planting and natural hardwood regeneration after a partial hardwood harvest --- 7-year results. Speakers: Drs. David Clabo (University of Georgia), former UT Graduate Student and Wayne Clatterbuck, University of Tennessee
Adjourn by 3:00 to 3:30 pm ET
Thursday Evening Options are for members to return home, evening out locally by selves or with other members (options provided prior to meeting).
Friday Options provided for sightseeing-adventures on own in the Oak Ridge area.
Registration: $25 per person
- Registration begins Monday, August 23 via the K-T SAF SQUARE payment site.
- If you wish to pay by cash or check, you may do so on the morning at the meeting. YOU MUST RSVP so that we have an accurate headcount for meals, etc.
Please RSVP the names of all people attending
- All RSVP no-shows will be expect to pay at a later date
- Those members showing up the day of meeting without an RSVP should bring their own meal.
- This fee takes care of your boxed lunch, drinks, snacks and facility rental.
There will NOT be Silent Auction.